As the scent of spring rain… comes from a translation of the evocative first line of a love poem by Israeli poet Leah Goldberg. The poem itself was introduced to me by a good friend of mine a number of years ago, and I have a strong memory of how much the beauty of the original Hebrew and the imagery in her translation touched me. Because of that I deliberately did not work from the poem itself but only from my memory of it, which was so special to me that I didn’t want to disturb it with a re-reading which would create a new and different experience. As a result, the harmonic language, structure, and orchestration all aim to conjure the intense juxtaposition of sweetness and sadness which I most remember from the poem.
2Fl, Ob, 3Clar, BClar, CbClar, Bsn, 2ASax, TSax, BSax, 3Trpt, 2Hn, 2Trb, BTrb, Euph, Tba, Cb, Harp(Pno), 5Perc (Glock/Vibr/Mar/TubBells/CrystGlass/BowlGong/SusCym/BD/MTree)
(to the 1-04 Edition)
- A contrabass clarinet part was added to the instrumentation. It is not reflected in the 1-04 edition of the score, but it only doubles existing music so hopefully it is straightforward.
- Alto Saxophone 1, m.46: E# and D#
- Oboe, m.66: B-flat whole note
- Flute 2, m.66: B-flat half note, E-flat(4) half note (+ fermata) with decrescendo
- May 3, 2017 - University of Akron Symphonic Band at Student Union, University of Akron, Akron, OH. Conducted by Galen S. Karriker.
- April 24, 2017 - University of South Carolina Aiken at The Etherredge Center for the Performing Arts, Aiken, SC. Conducted by Hayes Bunch.
- February 4, 2017 - Southwestern Oklahoma Band Directors Assn High School Symphonic Band at Lawton High School Auditorium. Conducted by Debra Traficante.
Published by OK Feel Good Music.
- Score (9x12): $24
- Parts (first performance): $250
- Additional performance: $95