As the scent of spring rain… comes from a translation of the evocative first line of a love poem by Israeli poet Leah Goldberg. The poem itself was introduced to me by a good friend of mine a number of years ago, and I have a strong memory of how much the beauty of the original Hebrew and the imagery in her translation touched me. Because of that I deliberately did not work from the poem itself but only from my memory of it, which was so special to me that I didn’t want to disturb it with a re-reading which would create a new and different experience. As a result, the harmonic language, structure, and orchestration all aim to conjure the intense juxtaposition of sweetness and sadness which I most remember from the poem.
2Fl, Ob, 3Clar, BClar, CbClar, Bsn, 2ASax, TSax, BSax, 3Trpt, 2Hn, 2Trb, BTrb, Euph, Tba, Cb, Harp(Pno), 5Perc (Glock/Vibr/Mar/TubBells/CrystGlass/BowlGong/SusCym/BD/MTree)
(to the 1-04 Edition)
- A contrabass clarinet part was added to the instrumentation. It is not reflected in the 1-04 edition of the score, but it only doubles existing music so hopefully it is straightforward.
- Alto Saxophone 1, m.46: E# and D#
- Oboe, m.66: B-flat whole note
- Flute 2, m.66: B-flat half note, E-flat(4) half note (+ fermata) with decrescendo
- November 16, 2019 - Wichita Symphony Youth Wind Ensemble at Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center, Wichita, KS. Conducted by Dr. Timothy Shade.
- October 15, 2019 - University of Alabama at Birmingham Wind Symphony at Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center, UAB. Conducted by Dr. Sean Murray.
- October 10, 2019 - University of Toronto Wind Ensemble at MacMillan Theatre, University of Toronto. Conducted by Prof. Gillian MacKay.
- September 18, 2019 - UMKC Conservatory Wind Ensemble at White Recital Hall, UMKC. Conducted by Joseph Parisi.
- May 18, 2019 - Northwestern University Symphonic Wind Ensemble at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall, Northwestern University. Conducted by Dr. Mallory Thompson.
- February 2, 2019 - Virginia Band & Orchestra Director's Assn. District 12 Honor Band at Chantilly High School, Chantilly, VA. Conducted by Timothy Robblee, Gary Hill.
Published by OK Feel Good Music.
- Score (9x12): $24
- Parts (first performance): $250
- Additional performance: $95