Metropolitan began with a stylistic approach – that of chic pop-inspired harmonies and pulses, with the sheen of a “downtown” aesthetic. But the piece quickly edged away from this style-concept, and I found myself more and more interested in simply working with the musical elements involved: stuttering mixed-meters, layered grooves inspired by American minimalism, three-against-four cross-rhythms, stretched-out harmonic rhythm, and a single, compact melodic cell. “Style” would come out on its own, without my impositions. The result is a raucous celebration of stylistic variety, where all my musical religions converge. To that end, the original title, Hip+Now, which implied the first, less serious and more ironic aim, was dropped in favor of Metropolitan‘s more appropriate intimation of grand and sweeping eclecticism.
This licensed streaming-audio of the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra is provided FOR REVIEW and FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY.
22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, Timp, 3Perc, Pno, Hp, Strings
- December 13, 2005 - Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra at Midwest Clinic, Chicago IL. Conducted by Allen Tinkham.
- November 13, 2005 - Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra at Orchestra Hall, Chicago. Conducted by Allen Tinkham. World Premiere
Published by OK Feel Good Music.
- Orchestra perusal score (9x12): $34
- Score and parts (first performance): $500
- Additional performance: $95