AVENUE X derives its title from my neighborhood subway line, and its labeled final destination: “Ave X”. As I reside on Avenue C (and the highest letter in Manhattan itself is D), this always seemed a fantastic and otherworldly location to me. Turns out it’s in a pretty trippy place anyway: Brooklyn’s Coney Island — home of an ancient and creaking wooden roller coaster (frightening only because of the fear of the entire structure collapsing at any moment), the country’s last existing “side show”, and of course (my favorite), the Nathan’s Famous annual hot-dog eating contest. The piece is a journey there of sorts … via a pentatonic blues progression and driving bass power chords more appropriate to a metal “hair” rock band chart-topper, AVENUE X takes a convoluted path of dreams, subways, roller coasters, freak shows, and edge-of-the-world fantasies.
Picc, 3Fl, Ob, Bsn, 3Clar, BClar, CbClar(opt), 2ASax, TSax, BSax, 3Trpt, 2Hn, 2Trb, BTrb, Euph, Tba, Timp, 6Perc (Glock/ HWBl/ Ratch/ Mar/ Bngo/ Piatti/ Hi-h/ SplashCym/ RideCym/ SuspCym/ Flex/ Xyl/ Tri/ LWBl/ Vibr/ Siren/ BD/ 3Tom-t/ Clav/ SWhis)
THE CHICAGOLAND CONSORTIUM*
*Addison Trail High School, Mark Corey, Director
Batavia High School, John Heath and David Lesniak, Dir.
Glenbard South High School, Brian Dewald, Dir.
Marmion Academy, Stephen Thurlow, Dir.
Naperville Central High School, DJ Alstadt and Scott Silder, Dir.
Neuqua Valley High School, Charles Staley, Dpt. Chair
Oswego High School, Margene Pappas, Dir.
Oswego East High School, Brad Leeb, Dir.
Plainfield South High School, Jerrod Cook, Dir.
St. Charles East High School, Jim Kull, Gil Wukitsch, Michele Suddith, Dirs.
St. Charles North High School, Jim Stombres, Dir.
Waubonsie Valley High School, Matt Temple and Josh Chodoroff, Dirs.
Willowbrook High School, William Gilmer, Dir.
- September 30, 2018 - CSU Fullerton Wind Symphony at Meng Concert Hall, CSU Fullerton campus. Conducted by Dustin Barr.
- April 27, 2018 - University of Missouri Wind Ensemble at Missouri Theatre. Conducted by Brian A. Silvey.
- March 22, 2018 - East Coweta High School Wind Ensemble at Rialto Center for the Arts. Conducted by Robert Owens.
- October 3, 2017 - University of Arkansas Wind Symphony at Jim and Joyce Faulker Performing Arts Center, University of Arkansas. Conducted by Dr. Jamal Duncan.
Published by OK Feel Good Music.
- Score (9x12): $34
- Parts (first performance): $300
- Additional performance: $95