- 3 O’Clock Mix
- Across the groaning continent
- As the scent of spring rain...
- Avenue X
- Blow It Up, Start Again
- Climbing Parnassus
- De Profundis
- Moon by Night
- My Hands Are a City
- Novel Romance
- OK Feel Good
- Pi‘ilani and Ko‘olauNEW
- Sowing Useful Truths
- Symphony No. 1, My Hands Are a City
- Tender HeartsNEW
- The Americans
- The Rivers of Bowery
- Uncle Sid
Complete RecordingDownload MP3
AVENUE X derives its title from my neighborhood subway line, and its labeled final destination: “Ave X”. As I reside on Avenue C (and the highest letter in Manhattan itself is D), this always seemed a fantastic and otherworldly location to me. Turns out it’s in a pretty trippy place anyway: Brooklyn’s Coney Island — home of an ancient and creaking wooden roller coaster (frightening only because of the fear of the entire structure collapsing at any moment), the country’s last existing “side show”, and of course (my favorite), the Nathan’s Famous annual hot-dog eating contest. The piece is a journey there of sorts … via a pentatonic blues progression and driving bass power chords more appropriate to a metal “hair” rock band chart-topper, AVENUE X takes a convoluted path of dreams, subways, roller coasters, freak shows, and edge-of-the-world fantasies.
Subgenres: Large EnsembleEducational
Picc, 3Fl, Ob, Bsn, 3Clar, BClar, CbClar(opt), 2ASax, TSax, BSax, 3Trpt, 2Hn, 2Trb, BTrb, Euph, Tba, Timp, 6Perc (Glock/ HWBl/ Ratch/ Mar/ Bngo/ Piatti/ Hi-h/ SplashCym/ RideCym/ SuspCym/ Flex/ Xyl/ Tri/ LWBl/ Vibr/ Siren/ BD/ 3Tom-t/ Clav/ SWhis)
THE CHICAGOLAND CONSORTIUM*
*Addison Trail High School, Mark Corey, Director
Batavia High School, John Heath and David Lesniak, Dir.
Glenbard South High School, Brian Dewald, Dir.
Marmion Academy, Stephen Thurlow, Dir.
Naperville Central High School, DJ Alstadt and Scott Silder, Dir.
Neuqua Valley High School, Charles Staley, Dpt. Chair
Oswego High School, Margene Pappas, Dir.
Oswego East High School, Brad Leeb, Dir.
Plainfield South High School, Jerrod Cook, Dir.
St. Charles East High School, Jim Kull, Gil Wukitsch, Michele Suddith, Dirs.
St. Charles North High School, Jim Stombres, Dir.
Waubonsie Valley High School, Matt Temple and Josh Chodoroff, Dirs.
Willowbrook High School, William Gilmer, Dir.
View Errata Info
Score & Parts:
m.244, Horn 2: Both Horns 1 & 2 play the 1st two beats of the bar (quarter G4, dotted eighth E6).
- January 6, 2023 - Schwäbisches Jugendblasorchester at Forum am Hofgarten, Günzburg, GERMANY. Conducted by Dr. Verena Mösenbichler-Bryant.
- November 8, 2022 - University of North Texas Wind Ensemble at Murchison Performing Arts Center, Winspear Hall. Conducted by Daniel Cook.
- April 25, 2019 - University of Nebraska at Omaha Symphonic Wind Ensemble at Strauss Performing Arts Center, University of Nebraska, Omaha, NE. Conducted by Karen Fannin.
Published by OK Feel Good Music.
- Score (9x12): $34
- Parts (first performance): $300
- Additional performance: $95