In 1802 Thomas Jefferson noted to his Attorney General that he considered letters to his constituents a decent opportunity for “sowing useful truths & principles among the people, which might germinate and become rooted among their political tenets.” This always struck me as exactly what all artists do: “seeding” the world with expressions of personal Truth, and very much hoping they take “root”. To that end, this work proclaims my own musical Principles, celebrating the elements of counterpoint, color, groove, and style I consider undeniable, and True.
Sowing Useful Truths was commissioned by my alma mater, the Boston University Tanglewood Institute, to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the Young Artists Wind Ensemble.
2Picc, 2Fl, Ob, EHn, EbClar, 3Clar, BClar, 2Bsn, CBsn, SSax, ASax, TSax, BSax, 4CTrpt, 4Hn, 2Trb, BTrb, Euph, Tba, Cb, Pno/Kybd, Timp, 6Perc (Crot/ Glock/ Xylo/ Vibr/ Mar/ TubBells/ Tri/ T-T/ SusCym/ SplCym/ CrCym/ Hi-H/ BD/ BrDr/ SnDr/ 4Tom-T/ Cnga/ 2Bngs/ Cast/ Tamb/ 2WBl/ TBl/ Shkr/ Whip)
Boston University Tanglewood Institute
World Premiere – July 30, 2010, Seiji Ozawa Hall, Tanglewood MA, H. Robert Reynolds conducting
- April 26, 2018 - University of Miami Frost Wind Ensemble at Gusman Concert Hall, University of Miami. Conducted by Robert Carnochan.
- December 5, 2015 - Shenandoah Conservatory Wind Ensemble at Armstrong Concert Hall, Shenandoah Conservatory. Conducted by Tim Robblee.
- February 25, 2015 - University of Texas Wind Symphony at Bates Recital Hall, University of Texas, Austin, TX. Conducted by Robert Carnochan.
- April 15, 2013 - The Florida State University Wind Orchestra at Ruby Diamond Concert Hall, Tallahassee, FL. Conducted by Richard Clary. Transcription World Premiere
Published by OK Feel Good Music.
- Conductor's score (11x17): $44
- Parts (first performance): $300
- Additional performance: $95