- 3 O’Clock Mix
- Across the groaning continent
- As the scent of spring rain...
- Avenue X
- Blow It Up, Start Again
- Climbing Parnassus
- De Profundis
- Moon by Night
- My Hands Are a City
- Novel Romance
- OK Feel Good
- Pi‘ilani and Ko‘olauNEW
- Sowing Useful Truths
- Symphony No. 1, My Hands Are a City
- Tender HeartsNEW
- The Americans
- The Rivers of Bowery
- Uncle Sid
In 1802 Thomas Jefferson noted to his Attorney General that he considered letters to his constituents a decent opportunity for “sowing useful truths & principles among the people, which might germinate and become rooted among their political tenets.” This always struck me as exactly what all artists do: “seeding” the world with expressions of personal Truth, and very much hoping they take “root”. To that end, this work proclaims my own musical Principles, celebrating the elements of counterpoint, color, groove, and style I consider undeniable, and True.
Sowing Useful Truths was commissioned by my alma mater, the Boston University Tanglewood Institute, to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the Young Artists Wind Ensemble.
Subgenres: Large Ensemble
2Picc, 2Fl, Ob, EHn, EbClar, 3Clar, BClar, 2Bsn, CBsn, SSax, ASax, TSax, BSax, 4CTrpt, 4Hn, 2Trb, BTrb, Euph, Tba, Cb, Pno/Kybd, Timp, 6Perc (Crot/ Glock/ Xylo/ Vibr/ Mar/ TubBells/ Tri/ T-T/ SusCym/ SplCym/ CrCym/ Hi-H/ BD/ BrDr/ SnDr/ 4Tom-T/ Cnga/ 2Bngs/ Cast/ Tamb/ 2WBl/ TBl/ Shkr/ Whip)
Boston University Tanglewood Institute
World Premiere – July 30, 2010, Seiji Ozawa Hall, Tanglewood MA, H. Robert Reynolds conducting
- April 26, 2018 - University of Miami Frost Wind Ensemble at Gusman Concert Hall, University of Miami. Conducted by Robert Carnochan.
- November 16, 2017 - Shenandoah Wind Ensemble at Virginia Music Educators Conference, The Homestead, Hot Springs, VA . Conducted by Timothy J. Robblee.
- November 4, 2017 - Shenandoah Conservatory Wind Ensemble at Armstrong Concert Hall, Winchester, VA. Conducted by Timothy J. Robblee.
Published by OK Feel Good Music.
- Conductor's score (11x17): $44
- Parts (first performance): $300
- Additional performance: $95